Below is a selection of books that I have found interesting or useful or have been recommended to me by others who have found them interesting or useful. If you have any recommendations that could be added to the list please pass them on to me.
- The Golden Cage – Hilde Bruch
- Getting Better Bit(e) by Bit(e) – Schmidt And Treasure
- Appetites – Caroline Knapp
- Wasted – Marya Hornbacher
- Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders in Children and Adolescents – Editors Lask And Bryant Waugh
- Eating Disorders: A Parents Guide - Lask and Bryant Waugh
- Eating with your Anorexic - Laura Collins - Published by McGraw Hill - ISBN 0-07-144558-7
Anxiety / Depression
- Frogs into Princes – Bandler and Grinder
- Counselling for Toads – Robert de Board
- Mind over Mood – Greenberger and Palety
Family and Children
- Dibs: In Search of Self – Virginia Axline
- Behaviour Problems in Children – Robert Wilkins
- Twins and Triplet Psychology – Editor Audrey Sandbank
- The Invisible Web – Walters, Papp, Carter & Silverstein
- The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat – Oliver Sacks
- Breaking Down the wall of Silence – Alice Miller
- Lying on the Couch – Irvin Yalom
The Academy for Eating Disorders is an international transdisciplinary professional organization that promotes excellence in research, treatment and prevention of eating disorders. The AED provides education, training and a forum for collaboration and professional dialogue.
AFT is the leading body representing those working with families in the public and independent sector in the UK. The broad group of therapies under the banner of 'systemic family therapy' work not only with families, but with individual children and adults, couples, and the wider communities of clients. They work in ways that not only support change with individuals but also in their relationships in the family and beyond, so children, young people and/or those important to them are supported in continued recovery.
Divorce - What Next?
Divorce - What Next? is a place to focus on positivity and optimism using experience as a springboard to acceptance and moving forward. You are embarking on a road to a bright future so although it is a road untrodden it will certainly be an adventure. Let us accompany you along the way and help and inspire you to make it a great and wonderful journey of self-discovery and empowerment.
DOCTOR now is a 24 hour private health service that provides convenient access and prompt medical response either in-surgery, at your home or the work place.
Information and help on all aspects of eating disorders, including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, binge eating disorder and related eating disorders.
The Ellern Mede Centre is a specialised service for young people aged 8-17 with eating disorders. The facility is located in Whetstone, north London.
Lucy Serpell's Eating Disorder Resources - The clearing house for eating disorder news, research, reports, conferences and opinions
Rehab Recovery offers a free helpline and intervention service for people suffering from eating disorders.
We provide a completely free service for both students and tutors, where students are able to locate the nearest tutor to them who matches their requirements.
The UKCP's purpose is to promote the art and science of psychotherapy for the public benefit; to promote research and education in psychotherapy and disseminate the results of any such research; and to promote (or assist in the promotion, preservation and protection of public health by encouraging) high standards of training and practice in psychotherapy and the wider provision of psychotherapy for the public benefit.
If you would like to see your link on DrShelagh.com, then please send an email here
Remember to include the link and a brief description of the service that is offered.
ARTICLES BY DR SHELAGH